Our complimentary Young Explorers Program is designed for children traveling with adults to magnificent destinations where the focus is on education, fun, and participation. The program emphasizes the environmental challenges our planet is facing and we use the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) guidelines as the foundation for this program. Our dedicated staff member will lead age-appropriate lectures and field research with your Young Explorer.
A dedicated host will plan and organize daily onboard activities related to different topics that focus on fun and eco-friendly learning and tailored to trigger children’s sense of adventure.
Curious and active children ages 7–13 will gain a deeper understanding of nature, climate and culture, and be introduced to topics related to wildlife, local food, history and famous explorers.
THE YOUNG EXPLORERS PROGRAM OFFERS THE FOLLOWING:
- At the beginning of their voyage, children will receive a Young Explorer package consisting of a t-shirt and logbook. In the logbook, children can note observations they make throughout the day, such as wildlife seen, sights visited and sounds heard.
- Daily onboard activities related to different topics.
- Each afternoon, there is a recap of the day’s topic. Young Explorers also get a stamp in their logbook based on activities they have been involved in.
- Environmental activities, for example, beach clean-ups, in cooperation with the Hurtigruten Foundation. (Minimum of one environmental action excursion per roundtrip voyage.)
- A Young Explorer kit will be on sale.
- Advice about child-friendly attractions ashore, such as Trondheim’s Pirbadet swimming complex, the Vitensenteret Science Centre and the Hurtigruten Museum.
YOUNG EXPLORERS WORKBOOK TOPICS & FIELD NOTES
- SCIENCE: Activities using the science center, looking into biology and geology of the Southern Ocean via real field samples.
- POLAR HISTORY: Activities both on board and in the field – including an actual re-creation of the Amundsen party reaching the South Pole!
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Activities with our onboard professional photographers
- NAUTICAL: Fun activities with our navigation officers - plus an exclusive meeting with the Captain
- Every task completed in the workbook will receive one stamp
- Children who complete the workbook will get a prize and an official certificate with an official ‘Ship Stamp’ from the Captain
- All children receive an exclusive Young Explorers hat with program logo
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION GAME – FOR YOUTH AND NEW EXPLORER FRIENDS
Kids will be introduced to EcoChains, one of the best new environmental games available and a great educational card game, which will be incorporated into the program for play during the voyage.
YOUNG EXPLORERS EXPEDITION VOLUNTEERS
Many young explorers are fascinated by the Expedition Team operation and this program allows youth to volunteer to assist the Expedition Team duties – a real hands-on way for kids to feel the rigors of explorations. On one Antarctica landing during the voyage, the kids are invited to help the staff set up the landing site before passengers go ashore and may involve the following:
- Digging snow steps
- Carrying ashore emergency equipment from the boat
- Carrying flags and cones for path-making
- Stand on post by penguin colony with Expedition Team member
- General help on landing site, accompanying a staff member at all times