What's in it for the kids?
Curious and active children ages 7–13 will gain a deeper understanding of nature, climate and culture, and be introduced to topics related to wildlife, local food, history and famous explorers.
THE YOUNG EXPLORERS PROGRAM OFFERS THE FOLLOWING:
- At the beginning of their voyage, children will receive a Young Explorer package consisting of a t-shirt and logbook. In the logbook, children can note observations they make throughout the day, such as wildlife seen, sights visited and sounds heard.
- Daily onboard activities related to different topics.
- Each afternoon, there is a recap of the day’s topic. Young Explorers also get a stamp in their logbook based on activities they have been involved in.
- Environmental activities, for example, beach clean-ups, in cooperation with the Hurtigruten Foundation. (Minimum of one environmental action excursion per roundtrip voyage.)
- A Young Explorer kit will be on sale.
- Advice about child-friendly attractions ashore, such as Trondheim’s Pirbadet swimming complex, the Vitensenteret Science Centre and the Hurtigruten Museum.
YOUNG EXPLORERS WORKBOOK TOPICS & FIELD NOTES
- SCIENCE: Activities using the science center, looking into biology and geology of the Southern Ocean via real field samples.
- POLAR HISTORY: Activities both on board and in the field – including an actual re-creation of the Amundsen party reaching the South Pole!
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Activities with our onboard professional photographers
- NAUTICAL: Fun activities with our navigation officers - plus an exclusive meeting with the Captain
- Every task completed in the workbook will receive one stamp
- Children who complete the workbook will get a prize and an official certificate with an official ‘Ship Stamp’ from the Captain
- All children receive an exclusive Young Explorers hat with program logo